Saturday, June 6, 2009

It’s Not What You Say …

My mother’s words blared in my head as I read this posted sign at a local Middle School Saturday morning.

IMG_0314How often she would warn me it was not so much what I said but how I said it that got me into trouble.So it would seem with the administration and staff of this school.

The words, “Students Released at 12:15” made me think that inmates of this institution were being let loose into a world not prepared for this action. With a State Penitentiary located just across town from this school, it was not such a leap to connect the final day of school to the release of an inmate after serving his/her time in paying for his/her crime against society.

How much more civilized would the statement on this sign had sounded if they had chosen to use, “Students Dismissed at 12:15.”

Once again proving Mom was right… It is not what you say, but how you say it, that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment